I receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
This easy pumpkin pie is going to be on my Thanksgiving dessert table tomorrow, along with my candied nuts. Make it ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator – it has a soft texture and is best served chilled.
There is no need for a separate pie crust. Instead, add a quarter cup of flour to the mixture. When baked, the flour sinks to the bottom to form a very light self-crust. (This trick works with many cream and custard pies.)
To make this dairy-free, I use full-fat coconut milk instead of cream. You know how, when you open a can of coconut milk, all the liquid is at the bottom with the fat forming a solid layer on top, requiring you to break it up and mix it before you can measure out what you need? I simply dump the entire contents of the can into the blender and blend it at the lowest setting for 30 seconds, then let it sit for a few minutes to let the excess air escape before measuring out what I need. Yes, it means another appliance to clean, but the coconut milk will be super smooth. Put the unused coconut milk in a container with a tight lid and store it in the fridge for future use.
Finally, my recipe uses half the sugar of many pumpkin pie recipes. It’s still sweet, but lightly so, and you can really taste the pumpkin.
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut milk, full fat
- 2 eggs
(for best results, allow to come to room temperature)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsps pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
(I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour)
- If you’re going to blend your coconut milk as described above, do it first so it can rest while you do the next steps.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Apply cooking spray to a deep-dish pie pan.
- In a large bowl, use a mixer to cream together eggs and brown sugar until frothy, then add in vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Add pumpkin puree and coconut milk and mix until well combined, taking care to scrape the bowl.
- Add the gluten-free flour and mix until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie pan. Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before serving. For best results, serve chilled.
If you try this recipe, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!